Welcome to the Official Web Site of Gaye AdegbalolaAlso known as Miz A. and, to her hometown, as Gaye Todd -- hence, Hot Toddy Music ...
New CD: Is It Still Good To Ya?
Available from my Shop NOW!
Gaye Adegbalola & the Wild Rūtz first CD: "Is It Still Good to Ya?"
In this world of screaming electrified instrumental acrobatics and digital perfectionism, this CD delights in returning to our RUTZ! It celebrates the Creator's primary instruments: THE VOICE and THE BEATS. 4 unique voices combine with percussion and occasional guitar to add a previously unrecorded dimension to the blues. All 14 songs are Gaye's originals.
Performing with the Wild Rūtz
Gaye Adegbalola & The Wild Rūtz perform at the National Women's Music Festival, MainStage, June, 2014.
Left to Right: Gaye Adegbalola, Gloria Jackson, Tanyah Dadze Cotton, Marta Fuentes. The group mainly performs original a cappella blues with percussion and occasional guitar. This song is "She Just Wants to Dance" written by Keb Mo & Georgina Graper.
From time to time, this group of seasoned activists musicians would break out in song when hanging out. Now they combine four very unique voices with percussion to present a humorous, informative, uplifting and entertaining show of roots music — blues, R&B, work songs, field hollers, and spirituals — in support of empowerment and equality for all. The group's repertoire is mainly drawn from Gaye's original songs. More biographical information about the Wild Rūtz can be found here.
For many visitors to this site, no introduction is needed - Gaye has performed all over the world individually and as part of the group Saffire - The Uppity Blues Women. However, to briefly introduce Gaye, she is a mother, a Blues Music Award winner and a former Virginia State Teacher of the Year. She now sees herself as a contemporary griot* -- keeping the history alive, delivering messages of empowerment, ministering to the heartbroken, and finding joy in the mundane.
Saffire ended in November of 2009, after making music together for 25 years. Since that time, Gaye continues to perform, write songs, and give presentations and speeches. Her children's CD, "Blues in All Flavors," released in 2012, received the Parents' Choice Gold Award for Music. In 2013, Gaye & The Wild Rutz formed and started touring in 2014. In April 2015, their first CD, "Is It Still Good to Ya?" will be released. Though progress was slow in 2014, Gaye has renewed her dedication to work on her autobiography.
If you want to get to know her better, here's how to get up close and personal:
- To find out who she is and what she's done, visit her bio page. Meet her family. See her hair change over the years.
- To hear what she sounds like and some songs she's written, visit her videos. Check out "Big Ovaries, Baby" (#7). Watch "The Bald Headed Blues (#14)"
- To learn her thoughts on life & love, visit her writings page. What does she think of Ike Turner (Article #10)? What are the lyrics of her original songs on "Is It Still Good to Ya?" (Writings & Lyrics)?
- To see how she teaches, check out more videos. Yes, songwriting can be taught (#8). Yes, performance can be taught (#9).
- To support & enjoy her, buy her CDs. All of her recordings have been critically acclaimed - visit reviews. Hear for yourself at shop. She can't live on social security alone.
- To really get up close and personal, contact her & book her - as a solo, a duo presenting '20s and '30s classic blues with Roddy Barnes, or as Gaye Adegbalola & The Wild Rutz. She's got so much mojo to give you.
* Griot (gree-oh) = a member of a hereditary caste among the peoples of western Africa whose function is to keep an oral history of the tribe or village and to entertain with stories, poems, songs, dances, etc.
this CD addresses bullying, health issues, kindness, the environment, etc. -- topics important to children and . . . ALL "G" RATED.
Each song is written and performed in a different blues "flavor" or style. From Piedmont to Delta to Chicago-style, jump to doo-wop, funk to rock, Gaye introduces young listeners and allows them to have a taste of many delicious blues forms. The CD also includes a 16 page booklet of lyrics.
Visit the "Blues in All Flavors home page to listen to MP3 samples, download lyrics & guitar chords, download learning activities, and find a definition of each song's blues "flavor."